1) Visit your OB/GYN for a preconception checkup. This is where you want to find out the status of your health and see if your body is ready for pregnancy. You want to ask all the questions that you have. Find out your history of health and whats your ideal weight suppose to be. It makes you feel good, knowing that you are in top shape and your health is great. This can keep your stress level down!
2) Schedule a dentist appointment. Get a well oral exam, and make sure that your teeth are healthy. Also, this will allow you to be aware of any hygiene problems that you might have. You don't want to go into your pregnancy with dental problems. Researchers have shown that oral problems can cause pre-termed babies and low weight babies.
3) Eat a balanced meal. I can not stress this enough. You have to be conscious about everything you eat because you have this little person inside of you. If mommy's not healthy than guess what, baby is more than likely to have some complications. Be sure to eat food from all the basic food groups. Drink plenty of water.
4) Only take medicine that your doctor prescribes. When you are pregnant or if you are already trying to conceive, your doctor might recommend you start taking prenatal vitamins. Taking other medications without your doctor's consent can lead to major health problems for you and baby. Now, on the other hand if you have some type of previous health conditions, then you want to make your doctor aware of them.
5) Stay Away from caffeine. According to March of Dimes, it is recommended to have no more than one cup of coffee per day. During this time, it is very wise to not consume any alcohol beverages, or sodas. I got hard headed one time during my pregnancy with my son and drank a soda. Boy, did I not do that again. He was up all night long!
I hope this better prepare you to conceive a very healthy baby!